Hi everyone, my name is Seth Coonrod. I am twenty years old and was born in Arlington, Texas. Go Texas Rangers. The fact they have a Japanese player--Yu Darvish--is a plus. I didn't complete grow up there, and I graduated high school at Weatherford High School. Again, this is in Texas.
My story with Japanese began when I was in middle school. I had discovered Japanese by accident like many of you probably have through things of pop culture such as manga, video games, and what not. To me, however, I realized really quickly that I was gifted at learning Japanese--foreign language in general--and relatively quickly acquired much of what I still know today. How I managed to learn Japanese is part true dedication, part talent, and the rest classified.
There were three initial reasons for making this site. The first was wanting to, surprisingly given what the site is mainly now, make a resource for Kanji. It is by far still my expertise, but the Internet already has enough mediocre sites for Kanji. Another reason was to get back at my high school. There were a few individuals who were extremely rude to me about learning Japanese and always treated me like crap for it. Some are still in school administration, but some have thankfully retired. It is not appropriate for school officials to be prejudicial or condescending to someone for learning another language other than the ones offered.
The situation was really tough. Though the school had a policy for taking courses for UT in Arlington, I could not get a single administrator to sign off on it for me. Rather, they would lie and mess up the facts. Saying I was being threatening or they couldn't do anything though their handbook said otherwise, thinking I wanted them to offer Japanese when I never said that, and a lot of BS that quite honestly would infuriate you too if you were in my position. I hope they one day regret themselves.
The third reason was to help me with my education. My parents really don't make enough, and my work is very time consuming and academic in nature. It is not feasible for me to make a living other than what I feel like I should do. Money is always an issue. Luckily I have had backing through my grandparents, but their money has only helped some and can't help anymore. I would like to go to Japan for graduate school, but I would like for my hard work to not go in vain and be a part of the process. On the other hand, I wish to keep IMABI free online in this form for the benefit of all learners.
I am a student of the Class of 2016 at the University of Texas at Austin. My Japanese professors are not very cooperative with my endeavors. My site, for some reason, poses a threat to their normalcy. What I teach here surpasses all of the courses that they offer. The Japanese of 90% of those who take Japanese here for four years is bad. The other 10% have some linguistic background, in which case they know how to manage language acquisition, or have some Japanese heritage.
And, I have found similar stupid people at UT that I met in high school. Though stupid people will be in every walk of life, they are hard to deal with when they are individuals that have a decision in your future. At this point, though, for my site to get their attention, this place has to continue trecking forward and attracting more and more people.
I hope that this site truly helps you in learning Japanese. I really appreciate any support. Feel free to pass this along to others you know as well as natives. This site has continuously been proofread by natives, but things do get missed, and I would appreciate additional feedback and information to enrich the material. I am human and can make mistakes in any language, and I probably messed up my English somewhere in this page too.
Thank you for taking time to visit IMABI. I hope it is time well spent.